- N-Acetyl L Carnitine: An important amino acid that is a vital component of energy metabolism. L Carnitine plays a major role in fat metabolism. Its most important function is to transport fatty acids into the mitochondria of muscle cells, including heart muscle for oxidation. The mitochondria is the power house of the cell and promoting its function in this way fuels all other active metabolic processes.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid: An antioxidant that works with other nutrients such as vitamins C & E and glutathione to defend against excessive free radicals. It is soluble in both water and lipid based tissue and it is used by the body to metabolise food and for energy production. There have been hundreds of studies over last 40 years demonstrating how lipoic acid energises metabolism.
- Cell-Active Glutathione: An important antioxidant that is naturally found in every cell in the body, providing protection from free radicals and peroxides. This antioxidant is essential in helping the body’s cellular defences and immune system function at full capacity. It also helps to support detoxification pathways and healthy function of the liver and intestinal tract.
- Dating back to ancient Greece, the herb Rosemary was known as a memory enhancer. The name comes from ‘ros marinos’ or the ‘spray of the sea’ from the pretty pale blue flowers which dance on the dark green waves of the rosemary bushes on the Greek hillsides.
- Each capsule comprises 12.5mg of the herb rosemary which contains lipid-soluble antioxidant flavonoids. This product also contains 50mg of Ginkgo biloba of which the active component is Ginkgolide
Glutathione (GSH) is produced in the cytoplasm of all human cells and synthesis is upregulated in response to oxidative stress. Glutathione serves as an electron donor and in the process is converted to its oxidised form (GSSG). Once oxidised, glutathione can be recycled (ie reduced back) to its reduced form GSH. The ratio of reduced glutathione (GSH) to oxidised ie. ‘spent’ glutathione (GSSG) within cells is used as a measure of cellular oxidative stress. In healthy cells and tissue, more than 90% of the total glutathione pool is in the reduced form (GSH) and less than 10% exists in the oxidised form (GSSG).
Glutathione can effectively scavenge free radicals both directly and through enzymatic reaction. It can also maintain antioxidants such as vitamins C and E in their reduced (ie active) forms. Studies have demonstrated high concentrations of glutathione in gingival crevicular fluid (fluid in gum crevices), saliva, serum and gingival tissues of healthy individuals.
Periodontal disease (periodontitis) is a chronic condition that is estimated to affect 10-15% of the world population. It is a major cause of tooth loss and associated with increased (aberrant) inflammation in response to plaque biofilm, produced by bacteria, and decreased antioxidant activity in saliva, resulting in loss of periodontal and bone support.
Until now, oral supplementation with glutathione has been difficult. Supplements need to be in a ‘liposomal’ form to cross cell membranes and be used inside cells.
Suggested dose: 1-2 capsules daily with food as a food supplement or take as recommended by your practitioner. Do not exceed the recommended daily intake. This product should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.