If you are regularly eating an organic diet consisting of a large variety of fresh, raw food and pastured meats and eggs, you may not need a supplement. Dr Mercola believes it is always better to get your nutrients from healthy food that’s been carefully and thoughtfully produced.
However, anything less than that, and you may be a candidate for a multivitamin and mineral supplement. If you don’t consistently eat organically food grown by regenerative or Biodynamic® farming methods, you most likely could benefit from high-quality supplementation. Here’s why…
Our non-organic food supply has changed drastically over the years with food bourne minerals reducing.
Four factors have played key roles in declining food nutrient values, with significant drops in crucial minerals like phosphorus, selenium, copper, magnesium, cobalt, calcium, zinc, and iron:
- The start of mechanised farming in 1925
- The introduction of ammonium nitrate fertilizer in 1946
- The use of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides starting prior to 1960
- The introduction of genetically engineered plants and glyphosate in the 1990s
What a High-Quality Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement Can Provide That Much of Today’s Fresh Foods May Not
By now you have a clear picture of why your food may not be providing the nutrients you need, and it is not only minerals that may be lacking.
Researchers attributed these vitamin losses to the same culprits responsible for the massive decline in minerals – modern agriculture and its focus on growth, pest resistance, climate adaptability and physical traits of fruits and vegetables like size, instead of soil quality and food nutrients.
You need nutrient-rich food to build a healthy body and mind. If the soil quality isn’t there, you simply cannot expect to get high-quality food with the nutrients you need.
A high-quality multivitamin with a full array of minerals can help supply your body with the nutrients it may not be able to get from food, especially if it contains its minerals in a readily absorbable form.
How to Choose a Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement Without Sacrificing Quality or Putting Your Health at Risk
More people than ever depend upon supplements to help fill in nutritional gaps in their diets. According to a recent survey, nearly 68 % of those polled take dietary supplements regularly, with 97 % including vitamins and minerals.
However, in recent years there‚ has also been an attack on supplements. Some studies have questioned their benefit or even claim to show harmful effects from taking multivitamins. Not all multivitamins are created equally, and that for a supplement to be beneficial and not inflict harm, it must be sourced and manufactured according to the highest standards.
You must be very careful about what you buy and be sure you are buying from a reputable manufacturer that uses high-quality sources for its nutrients! Trustworthy supplement makers have the right checks and balances in place for the procurement of materials and production to ensure a high-quality product.
Multi-vitamin Supplement Facts
Here’s the stringent criteria that Dr Mercola believes you must use to find you a high-quality multivitamin and mineral supplement:
- Must be produced by a highly reputable company with the highest quality control manufacturing practices in place
- Must go beyond RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) and DV (Daily Value) guidelines for certain vitamins and minerals – these are just minimums!
- Must include the added bonus of essential mineral – Many high-potency multivitamins lack important minerals
- Minerals should be absorbable; however, most simple forms of minerals are not highly absorbable with chelated forms are among the best
- The dosage must also be high enough to provide adequate amounts. In other words, just one or two tablets a day are likely not enough!
When Dr Mercola first started research for his Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals, he was absolutely shocked at the low quality demonstrated by so many companies and therefore researched for many months to identify what he believes are the absolute best supplement manufacturers in the U.S. today. The labs chosen have very strong formulation experience with Ph.D. formulators, and a strong manufacturing capability, consistently following the dietary supplement GMPs.
Why Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals Stands Out from the Rest
Two things make Dr Mercola’s Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals stand apart from all the other: the sheer number of nutritional ingredients supplied in significant amounts, and the fact that they use chelated minerals; something that many other manufacturers don’t do.
Chelated minerals are minerals that have been combined with amino acids or other molecules to form bioavailable and more easily absorbed mineral complexes. Some of the chelated complexes in our formula include magnesium, zinc, selenium, manganese, copper, potassium, boron, chromium, molybdenum, and vanadium.
Let’s take a closer look at some key nutrients in Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals that are often different from other multivitamins:
- Calcium – To provide a high level of support for your skeletal system. An optimal amount of calcium has been selected for the formula. The main reason for doing this was that, as you age, your need for calcium becomes increasingly important for strong bones. Dr Mercola’s Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals formula provides 250 mg of calcium to complement your healthy diet. And the citrate, malate and ascorbate forms of calcium that are formulated in this product are more absorbable than mined forms of calcium such as calcium oxide or carbonate, which are more commonly found in supplements.
- Magnesium – Scientific studies have reported that magnesium is helpful in supporting your lungs and pulmonary system, as well as your entire body. As you age, you are more likely to be deficient in this important mineral. The latest research shows that magnesium may help protect your cells against the harmful effects of EMFs or non-ionising radiation that surrounds us 24/7. Magnesium also works with calcium and vitamin D to promote bone density health. It also helps maintain your muscular and nervous systems, and it helps support your healthy heart, and energy needs. Magnesium chelate has been used because it is more absorbable, rather than the more common and less absorbed magnesium oxide.
- Potassium – This important mineral plays a key role in your metabolism and your body’s delicate balance of water and electrolytes. The regulation of your heartbeat, your muscle function, your healthy blood pressure, and nerve impulses all depend upon sufficient levels of potassium. In addition, research has shown that potassium is another important element in your bone density health. As you age, bone density and strength become important elements in your overall health. The form of potassium used in this formula is a mineral chelate, again, a more absorbable form than potassium chloride.
High-Potency Antioxidant Formula to Help You Balance Out Free Radicals
Dr Mercola didn’t stop at vitamins and minerals. A truly outstanding multivitamin should also provide other important nutrients missing from our poor food supply.
To provide you with the extra free radical-fighting antioxidant power that may now be lacking in the food you eat each day, they added a highly concentrated daily supplement containing more than 50 nutritional ingredients… all in a special herbal food base to our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals.
One of the challenges that your body faces every day is combating free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive molecules and fragments of molecules that may impact your body at your cellular level. Free radicals constantly attack your body proteins, carbohydrates, fats and DNA and can cause potentially serious health concerns unless they are kept in check. Every cell in your body suffers an estimated 10,000 free radical hits every day. To help balance the effects of free radicals, Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals provides you with high-potency amounts of an exclusive antioxidant formula that includes:
- Natural beta-carotene – healthy vision and immune system support
- Vitamin C – promotes tissue growth and repair, and healthy gums. This formula contains different forms of the vitamin C minerals in order to provide balance and absorbability
- Vitamin D3 – supports heart, bone, vascular and immune system health. This formula does not contain vitamin D2 but only the superior vitamin D3 form
- Vitamin E – helps support your muscular system. From the naturally occurring form of alpha tocopherol and also naturally occurring tocopherols
- Selenium – bolsters your healthy immune system. Selenium in this formula is from an amino acid chelate complex
- L-cysteine – supports your immune and respiratory systems. This is the bio-identical form of L-cysteine
- Lutein – helps promote your healthy vision. From a lutein extract from marigold and not a synthetic form
- Lycopene – supports your immune system. From a lycopene extract from tomato and not a synthetic form
- Red wine proanthocyanidins – provides you with cardiovascular system support
- And select extracts and powders from over 25 fruits, vegetables and herbs
In addition to the outstanding nutrients already discussed, Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals formula includes a health-promoting blend of vegetables, fruits, herbs and green foods.
Included are over 2,000 mg of nutrients based on vegetables, fruits, herbs and green foods in the Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals formula; nutrients that work together to promote your optimal health in the following ways:
NUTRIENTS Body Systems Supported
Red wine proanthocyanidins – Cardiovasular
Blueberry – Urinary tract and immune
Garlic – Digestive and immune
Green Tea Extract – Immune system
Sprouted barley juice – Cardiovascular/heart
Wheatgrass juice – Immune and anti-aging
Broccoli – prostate and immune
Cauliflower – Circulation and immune
Spirulina – Nervous System & Tissue
Chlorella – Cardiovascular and immune
Green papaya extract – Digestive and skin
Beet extract – Immune
Apple pectin -Immune and lungs
Bromelain -Respiratory and digestive
Rose hips – Skeletal
Lemon bioflavonoids – Immune
Rutin – Circulatory and immune
Hesperidin – Vascular and immune
There is an additional 700 mg of Mercola’s vegetable and fruit base, further promoting your optimal health, including:
Kale – provides healthy prostate support
Spinach – helps support your cardiovascular and immune systems
Carrot – assists optimal vision and cholesterol level
Radish ‚- supports your digestive, respiratory and nervous systems
Celery – provides you with skeletal and nervous system support
Apricot – promotes your respiratory and immune systems
Blackberry – helps support your digestive and immune systems
Cranberry – supports your urinary tract and cardiovascular system
Grape – promotes healthy circulation and cholesterol level
A Superior Form of Folic Acid
Folic acid, or folate, an important member of the B-vitamin family, plays many important roles in your body. Folic acid:
- Helps maintain normal blood homocysteine levels
- Helps nourish the brain and supports mood
- Supports protein metabolism
- Supports energy production
- Promotes normal formation and functioning of red and white blood cells
For folic acid to perform all of these crucial duties in your body, it must first be activated into the biologically active form of L-5-MTHF which is the form that is most usable by your body and the form that is able to cross the blood-brain barrier to carry out important brain functions.
As superior as this form may sound, the one most commonly added to nutritional supplements is folic acid. And here’s the problem: nearly half of the population has difficulty converting folic acid to the bioactive 5-MTHF form because of a genetic reduction in enzyme activity.
So if you have a reduced ability to metabolise folic acid, you may have less-than-optimal cardiovascular health. Using a 5-MTHF form of folic acid may help.
But not all nutrients in certain amounts work well together. In fact a type of competition can occur between some nutrients. So much attention was directed to prevent this from occurring in this product. Dr Mercola’s MultiVitamin Plus has been carefully evaluated and selected, each ingredient has been chosen for its:
- Proper nutrient balance – Just like too little of a nutrient does not provide you any real benefits, too much can potentially do you more harm than good
- Absorbability – The key to promoting your health is absorbing as much of the nutrient as possible
- Competitive relationship with other nutrients – A complex evaluation is performed by the scientists to make sure the amounts and types of nutrients work well together to benefit you
- Allergenic potential – Careful selection and measurement of the nutrient to investigate potential allergy issues
- Long-term safety -Any potential toxic build-up balanced out
- Proper use of the bioactive forms of the vitamins and minerals – All are naturally occurring when possible or bio-identical to those found in nature
- Non-GMO – All the vitamins, minerals and nutrients included in my formula are not genetically engineered
- Dosage to get the full benefits from all the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients – don’t be fooled by products that claim to provide you with a multivitamin formula that only requires 1 or 2 tablets per day- you are not getting enough of the important vitamins and minerals