Why You Need Vegetables (Especially) and Fruits in Your Daily Diet
To achieve high-level health, Mercola believe we all need to eat ample amounts of fresh produce, especially vegetables every day. Vegetables have an even greater protective effect on your health than fruits.
There are many good reasons to eat the recommended amounts of vegetables and limited amounts of fruits (only if you are not insulin resistant) each day:
Digestive and gut health: Vegetables and fruits contain fibre, which breaks down into short chain fatty acids by gut bacteria, which then nourishes your gut and beneficial bacteria. Fibre also helps you maintain regularity and avoid occasional constipation.
Weight management and healthy blood sugar levels: Most vegetables are low in net carbs (total carbs minus fibre) and calories. The fibre in fresh vegetables and certain fruits helps you feel “full” and suppresses your appetite, making it a useful tool for weight management. Fibre also supports healthy blood sugar and cholesterol levels, as well as blood pressure.
Eye, cell, bone, brain and heart health
Both vegetables and fruits contain an impressive array of antioxidants that are hard to find in other foods. Plant chemicals called phytochemicals are essential for supporting healthy cells, bones, eye health, heart health, cognition and brain health, and much more.
Immune health:Researchers have discovered that leafy green vegetables activate a gene that produces critical immune cells called innate lymphoid cells in your gut.
Energy, mood and psychological well-being:Research shows higher vegetable intake may help you feel calm and have a positive effect on your mental well-being. Vegetables and fruits can help boost energy levels, especially if you’re eating an otherwise healthy diet.
Healthy glowing skin and improved appearance: Because of their carotenoid content, red- and orange-colored vegetables can help give you a golden or healthy “glow.” In one study, people who ate three extra servings of produce for six weeks were ranked as better looking than those with lower intakes.
Beyond Leafy Green Vegetables – The Power of “Green” Superfoods
While you’ve heard of broccoli, kale and spinach, you may be less familiar with grasses – the young grass stage of wheat, barley, alfalfa and oat plants.
These green superfood grasses have a long history of use. Barley and wheat grasses date back to 7000 B.C. when ancient Asian and Middle Eastern cultures reportedly used them in their everyday diets. Even gladiators were said to eat barley grass for strength and stamina.
Scientists have been studying U.S.-harvested grasses in their dehydrated, whole food form since 1925. They’ve discovered many nutrients:
- Phytopigments such as chlorophyll, phycocyanin and carotenoids
- The plant sterol ester, beta-sitosterol
- Antioxidants such as superoxide dismutase and beta-carotene
- Vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, pantothenic acid and folic acid
- Potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus and magnesium
Organic greens such as young wheat, barley, oat and alfalfa grasses may offer an outstanding source of nutrients that you might not normally get in your everyday diet. They may also help balance out the acid-forming foods in your diet, such as commercially produced meats, eggs and dairy, processed foods, breads, cereals, sweetened foods and beverages like coffee, black tea, alcohol and soft drinks.
Artificial sweeteners, breads, and cereals are extremely acid forming, but all of these acid foods can affect your body’s ability to maintain its acid-base balance or pH within its optimal range.
All green plant foods can help maintain your body’s optimal pH. Some of the top alkaline-forming foods include the superfood grasses, broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach and green tea.
Organic Fermented Greens – One Easy Way to Supplement Your Diet with Abundant Green Leafy Foods and More
After years of research and development, the Mercola team have come up with a green superfood supplement that can help you increase your daily intake when you can’t get enough of the recommended vegetables and green leafy foods.
Dr Mercola wanted a high-quality formula that would meet the following criteria:
- Contain a broad array of green foods that you might not otherwise get in your everyday diet
Be low in sugars
- Have no strong, unpleasant “green” taste
- Contain no GMOs or genetically engineered ingredients
- Be easy to mix with shakes, smoothies and protein powder drinks
- Taste delicious on its own when mixed with just water
Mercola are pleased to say that they have found all of this in their Organic Fermented Greens. This unique product contains five special blends for a total of 23 botanicals:
- Fermented Grass Blend of four Certified Organic nutrient-dense grasses including wheatgrass, barley grass, alfalfa grass and oat grass
- Fermented Vegetable Blend of five Certified Organic vegetables including broccoli, kale, spinach, green cabbage and celery
- Fermented Sprout Blend of five Certified Organic sprouts, including alfalfa sprouts, cabbage sprouts, broccoli sprouts, cauliflower sprouts and kale sprouts
- Fermented Herb Blend of seven Certified Organic herbs, including moringa, matcha, Tulsi (holy basil), mate leaf extract, parsley, peppermint and rosemary
- Fermented Algae Blend of Certified Organic spirulina and chlorella
Virtual Nutrient Powerhouses, Fermented Sprouts Provide Valuable Bioavailable Plant Benefits
Sprouts are virtual nutrient powerhouses, packed with nutrients, including antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and enzymes that help to protect your body against free radical damage. With sprouts, a little go a long way… Sprouts allow you to get the most plant benefits in the most biologically concentrated and bioavailable form. These young plant gems can contain up to 100 times more enzymes than raw fruits and vegetables.
When you compare broccoli sprouts to whole broccoli, the sprouts can contain as much as 100 times the amount of a precursor to a valuable enzyme called sulforaphane; one of the most important nutritional benefits of eating broccoli.
Alfalfa sprouts contain saponins that support healthy normal cholesterol levels. Plus, they support your immune and bone health.
The alkalizing effect of sprouts, like other green foods, supports healthy cells and overall health.
From “Miracle Plant” Moringa to Japan’s Prized Green Matcha, These 7 Fermented Herbs Offer Antioxidant Benefits for Your Health and Well-Being
For Mercola’s Fermented Herb Blend, they wanted to include some of the most valued herbs and green foods from around the world, including matcha, holy basil or Tulsi, moringa and mate leaf extract or Yerba mate.
That took them to Japan, one of the country’s best-kept secrets, matcha is an exceptional alkalizing extract that offers antioxidant benefits. Mercola’s matcha is a powdered green tea made from some of the finest and youngest leaves of Japan’s first harvesting days.
The next step was India… Sometimes called the “Queen of Herbs,” holy basil or Tulsi has a long history within Indian medicine. Holy basil is considered a tonic for the body, mind and spirit, and different parts of the plant are used for varying conditions. Tulsi’s high concentration of chlorophyll is important for supporting health.
From the same region, moringa is sometimes called the “miracle plant” and is a superfood by all definitions. It contains more than 90 vitamins, minerals and amino acids, and 46 types of antioxidants.
Then on to South America… Mate leaf extract or Yerba Mate, is grown and harvested in Brazil and is a traditional South American drink that’s gaining attention worldwide. Yerba mate is an antioxidant-rich tea made from the leaves and twigs of the Ilex paraguariensis plant.
In addition to these four exceptional herbs, we added nutrient-rich parsley, peppermint and rosemary to our Fermented Herb Blend for our Organic Fermented Greens.
Spirulina and Chlorella: Two of My Top Green Superfoods Found in Our Fermented Algae Blend
A few years back, a well-known organisation for retirees helped bring spirulina into the spotlight by naming it the No. 1 superfood. Even the World Health Organization calls it a “superfood.”
Mercola’s spirulina comes from a remote area, far from any polluting industrial or agricultural activity. Spirulina is an ancient food that was once a dietary staple of the Aztecs and other Mesoamericans. The nutritional benefits of this green superfood are well researched and documented.
Blue-green spirulina’s greatest gift may be its rainbow of pigments that harvest the sun’s energy at different wavelengths – green from chlorophyll, blue from phycocyanin, and yellow and orange from carotenoids.
Mercola’s Certified Organic spirulina comes from a quiet and remote area far away from any polluting industrial or agricultural activity. It’s guaranteed to be:
- Low in heavy metals, yeast and mold
- Grown without Chilean nitrate, manure or synthetic minerals
- Non-GMO and non-irradiated
- Free from herbicides, pesticides and ground water contamination
- Produced without harsh chemicals
- Grown with only herbal fertilizers and pure, artesian groundwater
Spirulina wasn’t the only “green” food we wanted in our algae blend… Chlorella is a remarkable whole green superfood that’s an excellent source of chlorophyll. Like spirulina, chlorella is an alkaline-forming food, so it may help your body maintain a healthy acid-alkaline balance.
Mercola only use broken cell wall chlorella that utilizes a unique process to break open the plant’s cell wall for optimal bioavailability.
Mercola’s spirulina and chlorella products are routinely tested for the presence of heavy metals, so you know they’re safe for you and your family.
What Makes Organic Fermented Greens and Organic Fermented Fruits so Unique?
There’s no shortage of green food and fruit supplements on the market today, so the question becomes… Why choose Dr Mercola’s Fermented Organic Greens and Fermented Organic Fruits?
- Both contain zero grams of sugars per serving so you can enjoy the taste and nutritional goodness of fruits and vegetables that you might otherwise limit or not get in your diet.
- All ingredients are Certified Organic so you don’t need to worry about herbicides and pesticides.
- Both contain no added fillers or inexpensive fiber sources to “bulk up” the formulas.
- They include hard-to-locate or prohibitively expensive fermented ingredients, like amla, noni, pomegranate juice, elderberry, cabbage and kale sprouts, moringa, matcha and Tulsi.
- They taste great, thanks to a light touch of non-caloric stevia leaf and monk fruit extracts, so you can simply mix with water and enjoy!
Mercola Don’t Cut Corners… Their Organic Fermented Green and Fruit Superfood Supplements Are Created by an Exceptional Quarter-of-a-Century-Old Company
Mercola didn’t contract with just any formulator to create this Organic Fermented Greens and Organic Fermented Fruits. Mercola wanted an outstanding company that specialises in fermented, sustainable and organic products. The business they found has been operational since 1989 with quality considered the backbone of their company.
So what does quality look like when it comes to our Organic Fermented Greens and Organic Fermented Fruits?
- Verification: Their supply source is well-controlled and documented
- Traceability: Their organically grown vegetables and fruits are not mixed together so they can be traced to actual farms and fields
- Sustainability: From raw material cultivation and harvesting to processing and extraction, all steps of the process are under their careful control and dedicated to maintaining ecological balance.
Mercola can assure you that they have done their due diligence to make sure you get the high-quality vegetables and fruits you expect.