“Most Men Don’t Even Want to Talk About This. Why? Because It’s a Highly Sensitive Issue …”
But new information suggests that as a man, the sooner you begin supporting the health of this area, the better you’ll be. Here are the simple steps Dr Mercola recommends that you take…
Prostate health has been widely recognised to be important for men 50 and over. But in recent years, the importance of prostate health to men in their 30s and 40s has become more widely known. Some influencing factors known to affect prostate health include diet, lifestyle habits, and environmental factors.
By age 60, as many as 90% of American men may have less-than-optimal health in this area. Does this seem like something you should ignore or simply put on the ‘back burner’? Obviously not… and chances are fairly high that as a man, you’ll need extra support in this area of your body during your lifetime.
You may be totally aware of some, or all of this. But it’s important to get fully informed as soon as possible and take appropriate action to support your prostate health. And Dr Mercola would like to share some natural guidelines with you. But first, let’s go back to school for a brief refresher course on:-
The Male Anatomy: As a man, your prostate serves two purposes as both a muscle and a sex gland as part of your reproductive system. This muscle/gland is located just below your bladder and sits in front of your rectum. A vital part of the prostate system is your urethra, a tube that carries urine and sperm out of your body. When a man is young, the prostate is typically walnut-sized. But as he ages, the prostate can balloon to about the size of an egg as a normal part of ageing.
One of the prostate’s main functions is to nourish semen, the fluid that keeps sperm healthy for fertilisation. A healthy prostate also has a built-in immune function. Regardless of age, keeping your prostate healthy is key to supporting optimal urine flow, vitality, and a healthy sex drive.
7 Easy Ways to Support Your Prostate Health
Here’s a simple guideline with some straight-forward steps any man can easily implement to improve his prostate health…
- Optimise your vitamin D level Ideally through safe sun exposure: Get your levels over 50 ng/ml.
Eat healthy wholesome foods Eat a healthy diet full of unprocessed and preferably organic foods to optimise your health, being careful to limit sugars and grains. Consume moderate amounts of protein and plenty of high-quality fats… Also eat foods that are rich in carotenoids and lycopene that can help support your prostate.
- Reduce your stress: Most people know stress can have a negative effect on your health. Scientists have shown links between stress and less-than-optimal prostate health.
- Exercise and relax your muscles: Muscle tension can impact your prostate health. A regular exercise program can do wonders to help you reduce muscle tension and trigger a more positive attitude and mood.
- Support your lymphatic system: Your lymphatic system is responsible for clearing your body of waste and plays an essential role in your prostate vitality. Regular exercise and drinking adequate amounts of pure, fresh water can help flush waste and toxins out of your body.
- Revitalise love and sexual activity: It’s no accident how celibate men may need additional support for the prostate. A healthy sex life is good for your prostate. Also, nurturing your personal relationships and love can help reduce stress as well.
- Schedule a prostate evaluation: Getting an early assessment of your prostate health is a crucial first step in knowing where you stand.
- Research has shown sexual activity and a high ejaculation frequency are linked to better prostate health later in life. Frequent ejaculations may help act as one of your body’s natural detoxification functions for your prostate glands.
Wholesome Foods That Can Nurture Your Prostate
Wouldn’t you agree that taking a more proactive approach to your prostate health would be a smart way to go? Dr Mercola certainly believes so and one of the best places to start is with what you eat. As he outlined above, eating wholesome, unprocessed, and preferably organic foods is always a smart way to go toward optimal health. And with prostate health, there are some specific types of foods you can eat that can benefit your overall prostate vitality. Foods that help support the prostate include vegetables and fruits rich in vitamins, carotenoids, and lycopene.
Here are some examples that can help give your prostate some added support…
- Raw Broccoli and Cauliflower are excellent food choices to support a healthy prostate.
- Tomatoes and
- Green tea
What’s the Hidden ‘Scoop’ on Testosterone?
As you probably already know, testosterone is the male hormone. However, it is important to know that most experts do not recommend the use of testosterone therapy because they believe it’s a negative factor with regard to prostate health.
However, Dr Mercola believes it’s the excessive production of the testosterone breakdown product, DHT (dihydrotestosterone) that’s the negative risk factor in less-than-optimal prostate health and not testosterone itself. Fortunately, we know the enzyme that is responsible for converting testosterone to DHT; it is called 5-alpha reductase. So wouldn’t it make sense to inhibit or slow this enzyme down to help support prostate health as DHT levels would be lower?
Dr Mercola certainly believes so and others really ‘in-the-know’ support this thinking as well. There are plant-based compounds that have been shown to support your body’s ability to inhibit this very enzyme. And one of the most popular ones happens to be saw palmetto.
How This Native American Plant Yields Potential Health-Promoting Nutrients
The use of saw palmetto and its unique berries has been around for some time. It was an important food source for early settlers in Florida; early settlers that included Florida’s native population of Miccosukee and Seminole Indian tribes. And there’s evidence that subsequent settlers, including the Spanish during the 16th century, used saw palmetto as a food source as well.
Saw palmetto and its unique berries were an important food source for Florida’s native Indian tribes. In 1879, Dr. J.B. Read of Savannah, Georgia, published one of the first papers (in a peer-reviewed journal) on saw palmetto’s potential health-promoting uses based on his clinical experience. Derived from the berries of the Serenoa repens palm, saw palmetto is a plant native to the southeast region of the United States… primarily Florida. It’s found naturally in only a few other places around the world. And today, saw palmetto shows promise in how it potentially:
- Supports your prostate health
- Helps support urinary tract function
- Promotes a healthy libido
It’s encouraging to know that with the right high-quality saw palmetto formula, potential prostate and urinary tract benefits can be promising possibilities. But therein lies a problem… finding “the right high-quality formula”.
Not All Saw Palmetto Supplements Are Created Equal
While saw palmetto shows great promise for enhancing prostate vitality, there appears to be significant inconsistencies with the formulas available. In fact, one study conducted a few years ago that compared different brands of saw palmetto extract found that “The potency of the extracts (Serenoa repens) appears to be very different, as well as the potencies of 2 different batches of the same extract. This is probably due to qualitative and quantitative differences in active ingredients.”
Well, this is a bit disturbing and points to the fact that consistency of saw palmetto extract, even within the same brand, is a major concern.
Here are some of the issues that can lead to possible supplement inconsistencies;
- Saw palmetto berries harvested out-of-season – many mass-producers use ‘green’ berries picked before maturity which can lead to inconsistent and low-potency powder-based formulas.
- Inadequate control of berry sourcing – If you don’t know where the berries come from and when they were harvested, it’s almost impossible to ensure potency and high-quality consistency.
- Less than optimal extraction methodologies – Low-pressure extraction used by some saw palmetto producers does not typically yield as rich an extract as high-pressure extraction. And while some chemical solvent extraction methodologies may provide high-levels of extraction, there are potential trade-offs with possible chemical residues left behind.
- Poor product stability – This can result in a formula with unpredictable shelf-life. Without utilising some form of a very high-quality natural preservation system for the saw palmetto extract, the longevity of the final formula could be compromised.
- Poor quality control and standard practices – There simply is no substitute for high-quality controls when formulating any supplement. What the Mercola team discovered is that not all saw palmetto producers show evidence of independent testing or high levels of industry-recognised certification.
Rigorous Selection Criteria to Provide a High-Quality Saw Palmetto
Just about every major supplement company sells saw palmetto because many folks have had a positive experience with it. The challenge is to find one that will provide you with the best possible benefits, using the highest-quality ingredients available. This can be a very confusing and daunting task. That’s why Dr Mercola created a checklist of the criteria they consider most important. They have also included within the checklist how their new 100% “Made in the USA” Saw Palmetto formula clearly stands out in the world of saw palmetto supplements.
Criteria Description Saw Palmetto with Lycopene
- Only ‘wildcrafted’ berries used: ‘Wildcrafted’ means no over-cultivation or farming should be used in the growing process. To obtain saw palmetto berries at their optimal maturity, harvesting should take place between mid-August through late October. The picking of ‘green’ berries should be avoided at all costs. Yes : The Mercola manufacturer of choice satisfies all these criteria and works directly with the state authorities to protect their crop from being picked when it’s not mature or efficacious.
- Sourcing controls enforced in berry processing :From harvesting, to drying, to extraction, to packaging, all processes should occur in the manufacturer’s facilities themselves. Due to this form of control, most berries should even be traceable back to where they were picked. Yes – All manufacturing processes occur in the manufacturer’s facilities in Florida. All berries are “Grown in the USA.”
- Berries extracted using high-pressure methodology : High-pressure is the best process available to create a high-quality, consistent, and potent formula. When compared to low-pressure extraction, more beneficial nutrients are potentially obtained and made available for creating the saw palmetto end formula. Yes – the Mercola formula uses high-pressure DeepExtract™ technology with a proprietary CO2 process. More details on this process in a section below.
- Includes other ingredients in the saw palmetto formula :Other ingredients such as pumpkin seed oil, selenium, and lycopene have been shown to potentially enhance a high-quality saw palmetto formula. Yes – Lycopene has been chosen for inclusion in the formula. More details below on why.
- Ingredient separation and protection delivery system employed: Some ingredients do not last long when directly mixed with saw palmetto in a capsule. A system by which these ingredients are kept separate until delivery is a must–have. Yes – Using a very unique capsule-in-capsule packaging system, the ingredients are protected up until you take the capsule.
- Natural preservation system utilised :Many of the nutrients in saw palmetto are perishable so it’s important to make certain there is some type of system designed to prevent oxidation of the active ingredients. Yes – Using an advanced botanical-based stabilisation system called O2B™, this formula has a great system to help ensure longevity of the ingredients. Plus, not only is long-term stability achieved, formula efficacy is enhanced as well.
Two Extraordinary Ingredients Work Together to Enhance Your Health
A great place to start is to take a closer look at the ingredients that make up this extraordinary saw palmetto formula. Saw Palmetto with Lycopene formula is really quite simple and yet, it does have a couple of very unique beneficial twists to it. These are the types of details many less-than-optimal formulas may be totally missing the boat on.
In Saw Palmetto with Lycopene, there are two main active ingredients: Saw Palmetto and Lycopene. But, what is lycopene and why is it such an important ingredient?
Lycopene: Super Carotenoid Antioxidant More Powerful Than Most
Lycopene is a naturally-occurring nutrient that gives many fruits and vegetables their red colour. Lycopene is one of a number of nutrients called carotenoids. And lycopene is considered a potent antioxidant whose activity has been suggested to be more powerful than that of other carotenoids… such as beta-carotene.
Here are a few examples of natural foods (primarily fruits) rich in lycopene…
- Tomatoes – source of lycopene
- Watermelon (but only in moderate quantities as excessive amounts of fruits can actually be counterproductive)
- Pink grapefruit
- Pink guavas and papaya
And speaking of tomatoes, they are one of the richest sources of lycopene. In North America, it’s estimated that 85% of dietary lycopene comes from tomato based foods. But unlike most other raw foods, there’s a very intriguing thing about tomatoes… when cooked, the bio-availability of lycopene actually increases rather than decreases.
So, what does this all have to do with my Saw Palmetto with Lycopene? Lycopene was included in the supplement primarily because it…
- Is a powerful carotenoid antioxidant
- Shows promise in how it potentially works with saw palmetto in supporting prostate health
- How This Technology Helps Deliver More of What Nature Intended
- And as important as the ingredients are in Saw Palmetto with Lycopene, which Mercola made sure it was produced with a delivery system he considered to be second-to-none.
At the heart of Saw Palmetto with Lycopene is the Deep-Extract proprietary technology… an ultra high-pressure carbon dioxide (CO2) extraction process that yields a high concentration of micronutrients from saw palmetto botanicals.
The Deep-Extract technology provides a number of exceptional advantages in the production of saw palmetto…
- Offers extremely high extraction efficiencies – Delivers more of the beneficial higher molecular weight compounds that more closely track the natural saw palmetto source.
- Provides gentle treatment of high value raw materials – This reduces the degradation of essential compounds, undesired chemical changes, and oxidation potential.
- Delivers a formula untouched by chemical solvents – This saw palmetto formula is devoid of impurities and residues from chemical solvents which can raise potential safety concerns.
- All in all, the Deep-Extract technology delivers a formula that is more of what nature intended and offers.
And just so you’ll get an even better feel as to why the Deep-Extract technology is so important, here’s a comparison of the three different ways saw palmetto oil can be produced:
- Ethanol/alcohol extraction — Darker oil that still contains some of the micronutrients (such as chlorophyll), but not as many as #3 below.
- Hexane extraction — Yellow oil resembling corn oil that does not contain any micronutrients. May contain residue of hexane, which can be toxic.
- Supercritical CO2 extraction — This is the extraordinary extraction method used by DeepExtract that yields a rich oil, dark green in color.
The bottom line… high-quality oil comes from the third extraction method and it is one of the cleanest extraction methods known today. And with the super high-pressure used, more micronutrients potentially remain in the oil… including lycopene.
This is just another reason why Dr Mercola recommends Saw Palmetto with Lycopene as the only source of saw palmetto to help support your prostate health.
Could This Be the Best Delivery System on the Planet?
Saw Palmetto with Lycopene uses a unique capsule-in-capsule delivery system that incorporates a leak-proof high-protection capsule. Many producers of saw palmetto extract formulas settle for a gelcap-type delivery system… or even a standard run-of-the-mill capsule. With the unique capsule-in-capsule Licaps® delivery and packaging system utilised in the production of Saw Palmetto with Lycopene, there are what Dr Mercola believes to be, distinct advantages…
- Prevents saw palmetto oil and lycopene nutrients from ‘mixing’ inside the capsule. Without this capsule-in-capsule separation, the pH levels of saw palmetto could potentially degrade the lycopene prior to you ever taking it.
- Utilises series of cutting-edge technology advancements (Fusion Technology) in capsule filling, sealing, and final product inspection to deliver unsurpassed high protection and fast release.
- Delivers a leak-proof and airtight capsule utilising the extraordinary capsule-in-capsule technology.
- Provides high protection of moisture or oxygen-sensitive active ingredients.
- Optimises capsule disintegration by way of the Licaps thin shell making it ideal for nutrients requiring fast release.
Why Supplementation Alone Is NOT the Total Answer
Exercise can be a key element in not only supporting optimal prostate health (for men), but is vital to your overall health as well. One very important thing you should understand when it comes to any supplement, and Saw Palmetto with Lycopene is certainly without exception is, if you don’t practice a healthy lifestyle, you simply won’t optimise your prostate and your overall health.
Please don’t simply rely on supplements alone… you won’t be able to fully optimise your health.