How Curcumin Benefits Your Body and Brain
The potential antioxidant benefits from curcumin are actually just the tip of the iceberg. Many studies have shown a variety of different ways that this spice can support your overall vitality.
- Can assist gallbladder function
- May help aid in minimising oxidative stress
- Supports postmenopausal health in women (along with exercise)
Plus, with this spice capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier, curcumin’s potential as a neuroprotective nutrient and supporter of overall brain health should not be overlooked.
A recently published study of 40 adults between the ages of 50 and 90 with mild memory lapses shows promising potential for curcumin for brain health. Participants in the study received either 90 mg of a curcumin supplement twice a day for 18 months, or a placebo.
At the end of the study and every six months afterwards, participants completed a standardised cognitive assessment. Thirty of the study subjects also underwent PET scans to look for signs of brain changes associated with memory loss. The results? Those who received curcumin saw significant improvements in memory and concentration – a 28 % improvement over the 18-month treatment period and brain scans confirmed the positive benefits of curcumin.
How Bio-availability Issues Can Present a Daunting Challenge
Curcumin presents absorption challenges to your body. Here are some of the basic issues with its bioavailability. Curcumin:-
- Tends to be unstable at intestinal pH levels
- Presents a poor pharmacokinetic profile for absorbing it orally
- Has a tendency toward rapid elimination from your body
The bottom line with curcumin, it is simply not easy for your body to absorb. A great deal of curcumin taken orally simply passes through your system without being absorbed. And the curcumin that does manage to get absorbed in your intestine can be quickly metabolised by the liver.
Just like curcumin’s bioavailability is challenging when consuming it in foods you eat, such is the case with supplementation as well.
In a quality test conducted a few years ago, an independent lab evaluated some turmeric/curcumin supplements and reported that;-
- 20% of turmeric supplements delivered less than 15% of promised curcuminoid compounds
- Consumers need to carefully scrutinise turmeric or curcumin supplements to make sure they are getting a quality product
- Because curcumin presents absorption challenges, certain specially formulated products may offer greater bioavailability
So the quality of curcumin supplements is a very serious issue if you are considering using curcumin. You simply must be well-informed when choosing a supplement.
Mercola have spent about five years researching this phenomenal spice and they believe that with all the astounding advances in supplementation technology being made today, that the high-quality bioavailability issue can be addressed.
Sustained Release Shows Great Promise
Aside from absorbing the curcumin, like many nutrients, it has a relatively short half-life which means, in order to receive the maximum benefit you would have to consume it every four to six hours.
Sustained release as found in Curcumin Advanced:-
- Provides controlled release of nutrients over time
- Aids in enhancing bio-availability of nutrients
- Offers a convenient reduction in intake frequency
- Helps reduce potential adverse reactions
- Tends to promote better compliance in regular use (in combination with reduction in intake frequency)
And with Curcumin Advanced, the sustained release technology helps to separately release micro-particles of curcumin in your digestive tract.
How “Micro-Particle” Technology Increases Bioavailability
The sustained release high-bio-availability enabling technology employed in the Curcumin Advanced formula is only part of the story. Here is a quick breakdown how an incredible technology, called “MicroActive” helps with bio-availability:-
- Creates a self-emulsifying system forming micro-particles of curcumin, making it water-soluble and highly bio-available
- Helps enhance protection of the active nutrients for transport to the absorption site
- Provides time-release functionality to aid in nutrient delivery effectiveness and lowers intake requirements for both regular and maintenance applications
- Reduces bioavailable variation to help enhance total efficacy potential
- Delivers detectable amounts of additional curcuminoids, bisdemethoxycurcumin and demethoxycurcumin, with reduced intake requirements. This is critical as new research shows that bisdemethoxycurcumin is only activated when the levels of the other two curcuminoids (demethoxycurcumin and curcumin) are high.
The MicroActive formula helps reduce the variation between individuals. Some people are good absorbers, but others, because of high levels of adipose tissue or medical conditions, are normally poor absorbers. The MicroActive helps increase absorption where absorption is low. The end result, with this innovative technology helps make Curcumin Advanced the best curcumin supplement seen to date.
Summary of Curcumin Advanced
Below are a summary of the selection criteria when developing Curcumin Advanced:
|Checklist requirement||Curcumin Advanced?|
|Delivers three curcuminoids found in turmeric||Yes. This formula provides not only curcumin as the main active curcuminoid, but both beneficial demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin as well.|
|Avoids unnecessary fillers, additives, and excipients?||Yes. Fillers and excipients such as magnesium stearate and Polysorbate 80 are not used.|
|Is sourced from raw turmeric material at least 95% curcuminoids?||Yes. The producer of this exclusive formula utilises 95% curcuminoids from the turmeric raw material.|
|Utilises advanced technology to enhance bioavailability?||Yes. From its innovative sustained release and unique MicroActive technologies, bioavailability potential has been boosted to another level.|
|Minimises serving size/frequency?||Yes. With this formula, a single capsule is the recommended serving size once a day.|
|Comes from a reputable manufacturer?||Yes. And not only does this producer have a commitment to high quality and technology, they demonstrated their innovative capabilities by implementing my team’s input on the final formulation. Not many supplement producers deliver this type of flexibility and are willing to formulate an exclusive product.|